Last week, Hangzhou Plus issued a survey seeking to gauge the modern Chinese attitude towards tattoos. The total number of people who responded to our survey was 223 – and a big thank you to everyone who participated in our informal study! Here’s a little insight about our sample group:

When it comes to the age of the respondents, 48% (106) are between 22-29 years old. Of the people who responded, 70% (156) were female and 30% (67) were male. Overall, respondents were born in Zhejiang province but now they live in cities like Beijing, Shanghai, and Hangzhou; of course. The majority of the respondents (63% ; 140) have obtained or are currently working towards obtaining their bachelor’s degree. Going along with that, the top three occupations in this sample are student, teacher, and freelancer.cat tattoo on woman's shoulder

In this sample, only 11% (24) of the respondents currently have at least one tattoo leaving the remaining 89% (199) without. That being said, it’s interesting to note that 77% (171) of the respondents know someone with a tattoo while 23% (52) do not.

Survey takers were asked to rank a series of statements on a five point scale from “strongly disagree” to “strongly agree.” The table below illustrates the predominant opinions of the respondents. Feel free to read  each answer on your own but here are the highlights:

In a previous post, Hangzhou Plus the historical reasoning for negative stigmas against tattoos were outlined. Such stigmas seem to be fading based on the responses from our study. When asked if tattoos were a sign of shame, or if a person with a tattoo couldn’t be trusted, or even if a person with a tattoo had a personality defect the majority of respondents strongly disagreed. This shows that the modern Chinese attitude toward tattoos among individuals is changing to become more accepting. In fact, 76% (169) of the respondents felt that tattoos weren’t only for foreigners – it’s alright for Chinese people to have tattoos as well! In fact, many of the respondents are considering or have considered getting a tattoo, themselves.

That being said, the respondents aren’t quite ready to show off their tattoo pride with their parents and place of employment. Many of them felt that their parents or employer would disapprove of them obtaining a tattoo.

Does it matter if the person is a male or female? The answer is: no! The respondents strongly agree for gender equality when it comes to tattoos. And, why not? After all this group of respondents strongly agree that tattoos are a form of art and self expression.

It’s hard to say right now if they will regret their choice to get a tattoo in the future – as most responded neutrally. Theoretically it would depend on the person and the tattoo they chose. That’s why it’s important to choose a reputable tattoo artist who will help ensure the selection will appeal for years to come. 

People with tattoos are interesting and open-minded. Neutral
I don’t trust people with tattoos. Strongly Disagree
I am considering or have considered getting a tattoo. Strongly Agree
Tattoos are becoming more common/popular in China. Neutral
My parents would not mind if I had a tattoo. Strongly Disagree
My work or school would not mind if I had a tattoo. Strongly Disagree
Having a tattoo is a sign of shame. Strongly Disagree
Having a tattoo is a sign of self expression. Strongly Agree
It’s ok for foreigners to have tattoos but not a Chinese person. Strongly Disagree
Tattoos are part of Chinese culture. Neutral
Tattoos are part of Foreign cultures Neutral
It’s ok for girls to have tattoos. Strongly Agree
It’s ok for boys to have tattoos. Strongly Agree
Small tattoos are better than large tattoos. Neutral
Tattoos are a type of art. Strongly Agree
People with tattoos have a personality defect. Strongly Disagree
Getting a tattoo is an acceptable way to spend money. Neutral
If I get a tattoo today, I may regret it in the future. Neutral

 

Categories: Life

Leave a Reply